Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pandora's braids


The next step in my faux Victorian leather hatbox is adding gold braid to replicate the brass strips that decorate the original object. I've chosen three different braids, including a woven braid with a line down the centre that will work to cover the edge of the lid.

I used a quick-grip clear adhesive to attach the strips, although they will eventually be secured with brass split pins as well. One long strip was glued around the top of the lid, with half of the braid left standing: once the glue has dried, I'll slightly gather the top edge of the braid so that it sits flat and evenly on top of the lid, before adding the brass split pins.

On the base, I cut strips of the different braids and applied them evenly around the barrel. Now I'm leaving it overnight for the glue to dry before moving on to the next step.

If you like the look of this project, please check out my etsy store to see the patterns I have available for steampunk style craft projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share with me? Please tell me what you're thinking.