Monday, September 3, 2012

Goings-on

Last week I attended a book-themed fundraiser to aid research into Multiple Sclerosis. The evening was a lot of fun, and included a book swap where we were encouraged to offload our old books and purchase (very cheaply) those that others had donated. It was interesting to see which books people wanted to part with!

I thought myself lucky to have stumbled across a copy of The Not-so-very-nice Goings-on at Victoria Lodge (Faber & Faber, 2004), a humorous tale told with the aid of original illustrations from the nineteenth century "Girls Own Paper". Philip Ardagh's interpretation of the pen-and-ink sketches that once illustrated harmless stories about the lives of young ladies made me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share with me? Please tell me what you're thinking.