Friday, July 13, 2012

Tattoo you

I'm a bit ambivalent about tattoos. On one hand, I love them as a form of self-expression; on the other hand, I'm a bit scared by the fact that, once you've got one, you can't change it... ever. As a bit of a fashion butterfly, changing my tastes from one season to the next, I can't imagine ever being certain enough of a particular passion or image to have it permanently imprinted on my skin.

What I do like about tattoos is the thought behind them: people who have them almost always have stories to tell about why they chose them and which image they chose. I particularly like the kind of tattoos where it looks as though the skin has been peeled back to reveal the inner workings of the arm (or leg, or abdomen). My very favourite was one I briefly considered getting for myself, pictured here (I always knew I had a book in me!) -- click the image to see more of this artist's work.

There are a bunch of great steampunk-style tattoos out there, including ones where the skin is peeled back to reveal cogs, pistons and pulleys. But if, like me, you're too much of a wimp to get something permanently etched into your skin, take a look at Victoria Welch's Steampunk Henna Designs and go down the temporary tattoo path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share with me? Please tell me what you're thinking.